san francisco The competition for the best business solutions based on artificial intelligence (AI) is heating up. On Thursday, Microsoft presented extensions for all Office applications such as PowerPoint, Word, Teams or Excel, in which many work steps are to be taken over by AI. “It’s a revolution,” said Microsoft manager Jared Spataro.
Copilot is what Microsoft calls the AI-supported assistants that will accompany customers in all Office products in the future. In the presentation, the assistant summarized the content of telephone conferences, created slides for presentations from text documents with suitable images and formulated lectures. Spataro did not give a specific date for the introduction, but said that the functions were currently being tested by 20 pilot companies.
The co-pilot for work will “turn your words into the most powerful productivity tool in the world,” announced Spataro. Microsoft executive Sumit Chauhan said, “The average person uses less than 10 percent of what PowerPoint can do. Copilot unlocks the other 90 percent.” “We believe this next generation of AI will unleash a new wave of productivity growth,” added Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.
Artificial intelligence: Microsoft is adding AI to Office
Within a few weeks, the company boss presented a number of new products based on AI. At the beginning of February Nadella presented the Bing search engine, which has been expanded to include AI functions.
Behind the initiative is a close partnership with the start-up OpenAI. The San Francisco company provides the language model that drives applications at Microsoft. OpenAI presented a revised version of its model called GPT-4 on Tuesday. This version is now being used in Microsoft products, Spataro said.
>> Read also: Baidu disappoints with AI chatbot “Ernie Bot” – stock falls
According to industry estimates, Microsoft has invested around 13 billion dollars in OpenAI. “We have a close partnership,” said OpenAI CEO Sam Altman at the time. Microsoft is using the cooperation to challenge rival Google.
Copilot: Assistants for Office have a long tradition at Microsoft
Google also presented AI extensions for a number of office applications on Tuesday. By entering a few key points, it should be possible to write e-mails, for example.
However, the tech group held back with specific information. In addition, the company – like Microsoft – did not specify when the functions will be rolled out for all customers.
>> Read here: “Google is completely in panic mode,” says tech investor Peter Thiel
Microsoft has a long history of developing office assistants — and they haven’t always been smooth sailing. A tool known as “Clippy” was a source of ridicule in the 1990s and early 2000s. The assistant in the form of a paper clip tried to give users of Office products more or less useful tips. However, the application was considered of little use and was deactivated by many users.
An AI-based chatbot called Tay, introduced in 2016, spread anti-Semitic and racist comments a few hours after it was launched and was shut down by Microsoft within a day.
More: GPT-4: This is possible with the new update of the AI model
First publication: 03/16/2023, 6:43 p.m.